You should have full control over your informationWe’ve designed the Website to give you control over the information you publish and share using BookTalk and other sites and services to which you connect your BookTalk account. Please take full advantage of these tools and make sure you only share what you want to share.
Information we collect about youWe collect information about you from various sources:
Information provided by youYou don’t need to provide us with any personal data in order to visit the Website. However, certain Services do require that you register for a BookTalk account and, by doing so, you will provide us with certain information:
- Essential information: When you register any kind of BookTalk account, you will need to provide your email address (except when you sign-up with Facebook, it is fetched from your id), and choose a password. In addition, if you purchase a Subscription, you will also need to provide your real name, billing address and payment verification information.
- Profile information: You may choose, at your discretion, to provide additional information for your public profile on BookTalk – for example:
- your real name
- the city and country in which you live
- a profile picture, profile header image or avatar
- details of your other websites and social media profiles, including links to those websites and profiles
- Information from correspondence: You will provide certain personal data if you contact us by email, use any of the webforms on the Website, or contact us by mail, fax or other offline means.
- Survey information: If you participate in any survey, you will provide certain personal data as part of your response, unless you respond anonymously.
- Information that you post: You may provide personal data when you upload sounds to the Platform, or when you post comments, or contribute to community discussions.
Information we collect automaticallyThere is certain information that we collect automatically as the result of your use of the Platform, or through the use of web analytics services. This information includes but is not limited to:
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device from which you access the Platform (this can sometimes be used to derive the country or city from which you are accessing the Platform)
- the site that you visited immediately prior to visiting the Website
- the specific actions that you take on the Platform, including the pages that you visit, streaming, offline listening or downloading tracks, uploading or recording tracks, connecting your Facebook or Google+ account, sharing a sound with another user, following or unfollowing another user, joining or leaving a group, posting a comment, or performing a search
- any search terms that you may enter on the Website
- the time, frequency and duration of your visits to the Platform
- your browser type and operating system
- the nature of the device from which you are accessing the Platform, for example, whether you are accessing the Platform from a personal computer or from a mobile device and its device
- information collected through cookies and similar technology
Information from other sources
How we use your informationWe use the information that we collect about you for the following purposes: Use of and interaction with the Platform:
- To operate and maintain your BookTalk account, and to provide you with access to the Website and use of the Apps and any Services that you may request from time to time. Your email address and password are used to identify you when you sign into the Platform.
- To identify you as the creator of the sounds that you upload, the comments that you post and/or the other contributions that you make to the Platform.
- To seek your participation in surveys, and to conduct and analyze the results of those surveys if you choose to participate.
- To provide you with technical support.
- To respond to you about any comment or enquiry you have submitted.
- To provide other users with data regarding people's listening behavior of their sounds, i.e. streaming and downloading their sounds or playlists or following their profiles.
- Any additional information that you provide as part of your public profile, such as your real name, and links to your website and other social media profiles will be published on your profile page. This information will be publicly accessible and may be viewed by anyone accessing the Website, or using our API or other Services. Please bear this in mind when considering whether to provide any additional information about yourself.
- If you purchase a Subscription, your name, address and payment verification information will be used to process your account subscription and renewals and to collect your payment. All payment verification information is transmitted using industry-standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption.
- Your email address will be used to send you service updates and notifications regarding your account, and (if you have elected to receive them using your account preferences) newsletters, marketing messages and certain email notifications.
- Other users: Any information in your public profile (other than your email address) will be accessible by other users of the Platform, who may view your profile information, listen to and comment on any of your public sounds, add themselves to your list of followers, and send you messages.
- Advertisers may use third party services to ensure their ads are properly served and to measure the success of their campaigns on websites and apps.
- If required by law: We will disclose your information if we believe in good faith that we are permitted or required to do so by law.
- To protect our interests: We may disclose your information if we feel this is necessary in order to protect or defend our legitimate rights and interests, or those of our users, employees, directors or shareholders, and/or to ensure the safety and security of the Platform and/or the BookTalk community.